Thursday, July 28, 2011

More or Less…

The other day I was discussing design with my graphic designer hubby. We commented on how some card makers feel the need to use everything they own on the one card, possibly because it's there — they have purchased it and want to use it. Sometimes I'm guilty of the same thing. Often, if I show my hubby a card I've made he says something like "if you get rid of the ribbon it would be great". Too many design elements can overcrowd each other and look messy, which has lead me to believe that limiting the number of elements helps keep a card clean and simple. Although hubby agrees with me, he also believes that you can have a design with lots of elements that also looks good. So… he challenged me to create a good design using lots of stuff!

When I saw that this week's Less is More challenge involves buttons and ribbon, I thought it a great opportunity to enter the challenge and also take on hubby's :)

Stamps: Love & Care, Heard From the Heart
Card:
Very Vanilla, Soft Suede, Pink Pirouette
Ink: Pretty in Pink, Soft Suede
Other: Light Pink Gingham Ribbon, Designer Button,
Scallop Trim Border Punch, Dazzling Diamonds Glitter

In this card I have managed to include ribbon, a button, a punched border edge, glitter and a sentiment that uses two different fonts! I wonder if I could have squeezed in a couple of different patterned papers somewhere as well!
Anyway, I am pleased with the result… a good amount of "white space" to balance the other stuff definitely helps.

Okay… so I have shown hubby the card and he likes the design, but feels I misinterpreted the brief. What? What does he mean then? Well… I will try again to create something that uses LOTS of stuff. Can I do it? We will see ;)

17 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous card, so gentle and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you won! this is simple and elegant x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shelley,

    The card looks great. You really managed to use lot of details and yet still keep it very simple. I like it a lot!

    have a great day!
    Aleksandra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelley
    Love your card the flower stamp is so delicate...nice work ...i am a follower now....thats always nice
    hugs
    sylvie x
    enjoy your Day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have used many elements but kept it clean and simple. That is not easy to do. It is a very pretty card.
    Heather T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your husband is right, Shelley all aspects of card making can look beautiful. It;s all down to personal taste,.
    your card is absolutely fabulous
    i love it!

    Thanks os much
    Diva LIm
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great food for thought on design... my husband is my "go to" critique, but every now & then I sense a "gender preference" when he asks me to remove bows and ribbon, so we don't always agree! :) Your cards look fabulous, regardless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love your card, even with all the elements it looks so CAS still :)
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your card iS beautiful. I would like to CASE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shelley,

    your card is a real beauty, I love everything about it.

    Lins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder whose brief your hubby thought you had misinterpreted... you certainly haven't misinterpreted ours, this is stunning!
    I love it Shelley.
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    Lady LIM
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely - so very elegant and right on target with ribbon, button and "white" space - men! eh!?!?!?

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty and sweet. Love the gentle colours. x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't think this needs anything else. It's absolutely perfect the way it is. I think it gets the point across brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great cards - love these colours together. Gill x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment.